Launched in 2019, Formes Utiles is a new design adventure initiated by design experts, Bruno and Fabrice. Specialized in Mid century modern furniture and objects and passionate about post war design, Formes Utiles proposes an exclusive selection of some of the 20th century’s most iconic design pieces. Here you will find some of the period’s most famous American, Italian and French designers and ceramicists. Our specialists are always available to help you selecting a piece, or if you would like to find out more about our gallery. Please do not hesitate to contact us or come visit us at our showroom in Lyon.
- Our co-founders were inspired by a shared passion for the French Formes Utiles movement. At the end of the second world war, l’Union des Artistes Modernes (UAM - Union of Modern Artists) attracts numerous new artists, architects and designers motivated to participate in post war reconstruction.
- In 1949, the exhibition "Formes Utiles, objet de notre temps” (“object of our time") directed by Charlotte Perriand, presented objects with functional aesthetics and a strong emphasis on the new art of living. The exhibition was immensely successful, and “Formes Utiles” became an independent association in 1958.
- UAM, and later the Formes Utiles movement brought forth many of the 20th century’s greatest artists, decorators and architects : Le Corbusier, Pierre Jeanneret, Charlotte Perriand, Marcel Gascoin, Sonia Delaunay, Louis Sognot...
- Bruno, a long-time gallery owner and expert in post-war design furniture, is passionate about the this period. In 2019, he associated with Fabrice, a fervent collector who decided to turn his long-time passion for post war art and design into a professional occupation. The two design enthousiasts first met ten years ago and haven’t stopped exchanging creative ideas ever since.
- Our work is anchored in movement. We travel the world to find and offer you the most unique and beautiful pieces. Along our travels, a passion for 20th century decorative art history takes us to meet major creators of the past century
- “You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore" Christopher Columbus.
- Audacious and eclectic associations between iconic design pieces, rare collections, exceptional ceramics, decorative objects and contemporary street art.
- With a specific emphasis on 1950s French Design, you will find a wide selection of pieces by Charlotte Perriand. French and Italian ceramics are also honored with a spotlight on the Cloutier Brothers, Juliette Dérel, Jules Agard and Bruno Gambone.
- Don’t hesitate to stop in. At Formes Utiles, you just might find that piece that turns your space from ordinary to extraordinary.